Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Dessert Nite

I have been reading a book by Linda J. Eyre, "A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood." I have gotten so much from this mother of 9!! I decided to put into practice one of the ideas she had about being flexible and spontaneous. In our family we have 2 nights that we call 'Dessert Nite', Tuesdays and Saturdays (to cut down on all the "can I have dessert?"..or "what's for dessert?" whailing"). I got all the kids into their pjs, Kim's kids included (my mom watches them on Tuesday nights) and we piled into the van. I told them we were running an errand and they were all clueless until we pulled into McDonalds and then we heard all the shreeks and screams!!! "Ice Cream ONLY!" I said.
It was quite a sight with all of them at the table licking thier cones,slippers and all. Unfortunately I forgot my camera...so that moment will be captured in my memory for now. The kids thought it was the absolute best! Way to go Mom! I can still have fun!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hi Jen --
I've never even met you -- though I feel like I have, with this blog, and from hearing Chris talk about you! (I'm the Amy he knew in Oxford)
But I just wanted to tell you that this post has inspired me to get that book you mentioned. I want to be a fun mom, too! :) Thanks for the tip.

--Amy